Triumph Herald and 10

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Triumph Herald and 10
From: <amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 94 15:16:57 EST
=========================     HERALD                   =======================

  Sorry to nitpick, but:

  The Triumph 10 and the Herald are two very different vehicles.
  The 10 (originally the Standard Eight and, later, Ten; Triumph
  name was used in North America) was produced approximately 1954-
  60 as a four-door, unibody car. Estate Wagon versions were
  converted by Mulliners, and what we colonists would call a sedan
  delivery version was produced as well for the home market. The
  Herald, in various engine sizes and body styles and separate
  frame/body construction, was produced 1959-71.

  The early Herald shared the 948cc engine with the later Ten, as
  well as a similar gearbox and differential (innards only, as the
  Eight/Ten was a live axle setup). At some point, an IRS setup
  was considered for the Ten, but it was abandoned due to
  difficulty in vibration/noise isolation with a diff. mounted to
  the unibody.

  My father's first Triumph was a dark blue over grey Triumph 10,
  a 1959 bought new in late 1958; the second was a yellow 1964
  Herald convertible, bought in January 1964. I still have the
  latter, as well as several other Heralds and a 1960 Ten Estate
  Wagon (really rare and bizarre -- for 1960, the U.S. market got
  the front end of the home market Pennant's restyle, but not the
  back end!).

  I have never heard the name Herald applied to the Ten, although
  the Ten often was referred to, perhaps somewhat tongue-in-cheek,
  as the TR10.

  I wasn't a Scion back in 1991, so I'd be interested in the S-T
  discussion of 1991, Garry, if you'd e-mail it to me.

  Andy Mace, VTR's Herald/Vitesse consultant

  P.S. Anyone know Steve Hedke (CA), VTR's 10 Consultant? Is he on
  the list, or is he reachable via e-mail?