Riveting Subject

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Riveting Subject
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 15:20:21 -0800
Scott Fisher's top installation treatise reminded me that I'm planning
to take a shot at repairing the snake's old vinyl top; new ones being
$450 and all.

To attempt this repair, I'll have to remove the windshield mounting
hardware from the top.  This means drilling out the aluminum rivets used
to attached the vinyl.  Once I've made the repairs, I'll have to
re-rivet the top to the hardware.  Problem is, I don't have enough of
the proper type rivets and I haven't been able to find any at local
hardware stores.  What I need are solid (i.e.  non pop) counter-sunk
aluminum rivets of the kind commonly used on aircraft skin.  You know,
like this:

   __________
   \        /
    \....../
     |    |
     |    |
     |    |
     |____|

I think I asked this question several months ago and someone suggested a
place in the Palo Alto area (if memory serves), but I lucked into a
small freebe supply locally and didn't follow up on this source.
Unfortunately I don't have enough left over for this job.  I'll order
from form Aircraft Spruce or whatever if I have to but I only need a
couple of dozen or so.  Any suggestions on a supplier in the South S.F.
Bay area?

I dug the old bows last weekend and noticed they were painted an icky
blue color.  Did I do that?  Yuck!

Roland