Re: more on CIM & gear cutting

To: Philip J Ethier <hpwala.wal.hp.com!hp.com!pwcs!phile@hoosier>,
Subject: Re: more on CIM & gear cutting
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 16:19:13 EST
> (NOTE:  I got this as direct mail from John.  It was apparently addressed
> to pwcs!phile@hoosier.cs.utah.edu.  I did not get the one he sent to

Actually, I didn't send it to the list, since this "Is so! Is NOT!" stuff
might be boring to some...

> I wrote > >
> > > You can cut gear BLANKS on a regular lathe.
> > > To cut the teeth, you need a hob.
> John R. Lupien writes >
> > I made a nice straight-cut gear on a lathe, it really was easy.
> > Cutting the blank is the hardest part. To cut the teeth, you use
> > this many-toothed rotary cutting device that clamps onto the
> > screw thread drive. They have both straight-cut and helical
> > tools for this, I think, though I have only used the straight-cut
> > version.
> That is a hob.  According to my dictionary: "A cutting tool used for
> cutting the teeth of worm wheels or gear wheels."

It's not a hob. I looked it up in my machine tool catalog, and it's
called a gear-cutter ("involute", I think). And the piece is rotating,
too - not just the tool. It's one of the coolest things to watch running,
short of the multi-tool CNC machines. The cutter and the gear blank
rotate, and the cutter moves sideways, making contact with the blank
at the edge. Each tooth of the cutter makes a small cut each time around,
until it is fully engaged and just chopping its way through. Finally the
tool comes out the other side, and you have a complete gear in about the
same time it would take to cut one tooth on a mill.

> "Most lathes" are not going to have a hob attachment.  Where were you
> working that had one of these?  I have never seen a hob attachment on a
> regular lathe, but then, I have only worked in about 5 shops and seen a
> maybe 50 while working in machine-tool sales.

That was 2.86 lab at MIT - and the lathes were really quite regular. They
had one fancy one that was basically the top-of-the-line not-quite-cnc,
but us student types didn't get to use it. The rest of the lathes were
pretty basic - I didn't notice anything that wasn't on the lathes in
the 2.76 lab (which was all really "run-of-the-mill").

> I can envision cutting straight-cut gears on a lathe by cutting each tooth
> with the lathe spindle not turning.

Sounds like a minor nightmare.

--
---