A-series engine differences

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: A-series engine differences
From: tvrvixen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 94 10:52:51 EST
> I'm sure someone has the answer to this question at their
> fingertips. What are the differences between a 1275 (12V ?) in
> a 1973 MG Midget and a 1275 in a 1967 Sprite (12CC ?) ?
> I say:
> Scott mentioned most of the differences I've heard of but I had
> also heard that 67's in particular had larger valves than later
> years.

I don't think there is any difference in the valve sizes on any of the 1275cc
engines fitted to Spridgets.  David Vizards book  "How to Modify Your Mini"
lists them as all being the same size and the parts books I have looked at
all list one part number for all 1275's.(The Cooper S engines did have an
exhaust valve that was .05" larger, but with a different stem length.) If you
are going to upgrade your head, these days you should probably upgrade to a
leadfree modified head.

If you have a good running 1275 that just happens to be the wrong year, why
change it? Does anyone really make a big deal about engine numbers?

Don Davis (71 TVR, 69 Midget,61 Mini)