MGB bodyshell

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB bodyshell
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 1994 15:49:36 -0500
        I have to admit I felt a little abused about the MGB bodyshell
stuff.  Upon further reading of my message (which I posted in the early
hours of the morning) I can understand it.  let me clarify a few things.
First off, I offered the shell free to any sol'er who wants it.  I should
have said that I need to recover SOME of my moving expenses (I'm estimating
the TOTAL at 750).  This is due to the sad fact it cost me real dollars to
bring the thing across the country not a wish to make money.  The 1500 dollar
price tag for a non-sol'er comes from my desire not to let it go to a parts
dealer.  I guess I thought 1500 was cheap for a good body if your car is
rotted out and too expensive for a parts dealer to buy and sit on.  Perhaps
the 1500 is also a reflection of the fact that deep in my heart I want
the impossible - to KEEP IT.

        West coast people probably don't have a real good feel for how
much rust repair costs.  A good body probably represents a savings of
3 to 5K after you have repainted the car.  Most of the old cars around here
have suffered structural rust.  Now, add to this picture the difficulty of
locating and moving rust free parts across the country.  It would cost you
the better part of a grand to move a body shell from California to Michigan
if you could find someone willing to do it.  You can see why it might be
possible for a body shell to be worth a mint here but worthless on the west
coast.  On the other hand, I can dig up a rusty MGB the runs very well for
100 bucks.  I know of an overdrive transmission for a spit 1500 that has been
sitting in a yard for the past two years - they're asking 150 for it.  Supply
and demand....

        All in all, some sol'er please come take this MGB shell before I
become too attached to it.  I was talking with a friend about a V-8 conversion
yesterday.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu