Re: MGB Steering wheel

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Steering wheel
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 1994 19:40:35 -0500 (EST)

> >roughly). Now, you want to attempt to twist the wheel about a vertical axis
> >that passes through the center of the hub. Pull hard on the left while
> >pushing equally hard on the right. Then reverse the force directions. Back
> >and forth, back and forth, changing direction every 1 or 2 seconds. You
> >might want to tug straight out every so often also. Typically it only takes
> >two or three cycles for the wheel to pop off, though your milage may vary
>
> Is there any danger of shearing off the mechanism that locks the steering
> wheel in place?  Or am I supposed to block the wheels from the side (in
> which case I'd worry about messing up the rack and pinion although that
> seems less likely.)

Um, not a chance of damaging these components, for two reasons. First off,
you physicly won't be able to (no this is not a dare :). The steering lock
works like, and is about the size of, a typical  front door deadbolt. The
second reason is you should not be putting any stress on them. In the
above, you are not trying to turn the steering wheel in the normal direction.
You are trying to turn in on an axis 90 degrees from normal. Let me rephrase
the quote.

 Pull straight towards you, hard, on the left, while pushing towards the
dash, equally hard, on the right. Kinda like you're boxing.

   Randy
    randy@taylor.wyvern.com