J.C. Whitney

To: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Subject: J.C. Whitney
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch.PARC@xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1993 07:26:21 PST
Dave Lapham writes:
>  I got an aftermarket sway bar for my '72 Midget from Vic. British --
>It appears to be simply an ADDCO bar (which means I could have saved
>some $$$ by getting it from JC Whitney).

I'm currently peeved at J.C. Whitney.  I ordered a Facet fuel pump for
Sybil from them.  It was a pretty good price: $32.95.

Next, Chris Kantarjiev suggested that I should get the vibration-isolating
mounting kit and in-line filter.  He brought in his Pegasus Racing
catalog and I ordered from them.  *Their* price on the fuel pump was
$35.95.

So, the mounts and filter came UPS 2nd day air with about a $5 shipping charge.
They arrived in 2 days.  The pump was shipped Parcel Post, took about 12 days,
and
Whitney charged me nearly $10 shipping "and handling".

My advice is to stay clear of whitney for things you need FAST, and for "small"
things with narrow price differences.  If I'd ordered the whole shebang from
Pegasus then I would have gotten all the parts in 2 days at a net savings!
They may well win on big things like roll-bars and headers, but evaluate the
options carefully.

  --berry

(P.S. The Pegasus catalog is DANGEROUS for racer-wannabes...my checkbook
is still quivering...)