Re: 'other-half' becomes 'car-widow'....

To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil
Subject: Re: 'other-half' becomes 'car-widow'....
From: mjb@triumph (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 12:16:48 -0700
Boy, a Spitfire for $100, that's my kind of car.  I'll take it off your hands
for $150 when you decide that trying to put it together without a complete
Spitfire next to it for reference is impossible.

Seriously, it shouldn't be too hard.  The frame can be built up with all
the suspension, the engine, trans and driveshaft and such before the tub
needs to go back on.  Check out mjb_junior* and Spit.1150 in the pub/sol/GIF
directory on hoosier.cs.utah.edu.  And yes, don't cut out the floor pans
unless the tub is securely bolted to a frame.  There isn't a whole lot of
rigidity in the tub without the frame.  Are the doors still in the tub?
If so, leave them in place as long as you can, too.  What you can do is
mount the body to the frame, redo the floor pans, then pull it off again
to respray the underside.  It will be a fair amount of work, but you'll
end up with a nice car.

Contrary to popular belief, the Spitfire 1500 is not fitted with the Midget
1500 motor, but the Midget is fitted with the Spitfire motor.  Maybe in the
spring I'll have some more to say about tuning this motor, we shall see.

mjb.