su question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: su question
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 93 13:53:09 CST
Hi Su Gods
As well as purchasing a spitfire, I rebuilt the carbs for the midget. I
have a few questions about them...
1) Is the damper gasket necessary...there wasn't one on either of`the carbs
and the rebuild kits didn't contain them.
2) Is a washer/cork gasket necessary for the jet bearing lock nut...
again..none on there...and non in the rebuild kit (that would fit).
3)One of the carbs didn't have the piston lift spring. Now I tried
to9 put the assembly together on the table to see how the piston
lift pin would be actuated...and couldn't see anything that would touch
the pin.

If the pin doesn't lift the piston, what does?? I assume the piston must be
lifted as the jet is pushed down so more air is let in with more fuel???
Or have I lost a part ?? (unlikely)

4) My float assembly was similar but not the same as in the haynes manual.
There was no metal prong...The plastic float rested on the needle valve/seat,
therefore, the only way to adjust float height would be to put spacers
where the valve screws in. BUT, none of the digrams showed my type of
float so I had no idea about correct spacing between the valve and float.
Furthermore, I put in Grose jets if that will make any difference to
measurements.

Pheweee.

Marcus