Failure in Silicone Brake F

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Failure in Silicone Brake F
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 4 Nov 1993 12:55:09 -0600
                       Subject:                               Time:12:33 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Failure in Silicone Brake Fluid        Date:11/4/93
 There is a letter in Hemmings this month from a Donald Slanina, PE, of
Youngstown State, reporting on the failure of pressure activated brake light
switches in his '66 VW when the switch contacts are immersed in silicone fluid.
He noticed he had to push harder on his brake pedal to get the switch to turn
on the lights.
 He has done some research. Two things he observes: the fluid has a tendency to
form a gel around the contacts; also there is a more corrosive effect at points
of arc initiation and termination.
 I can corroborate with my own experience, having just put a new switch on my
XK120. I also noticed the amount of pressure required to light the lights was
increasing. I think I will disconnect it and install an external switch
somewhere on the pedal linkage.
 So that is one thing to bear in mind when going to silicone.