restoration

To: hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: restoration
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 92 11:15:48 US/
Roland Dudley writes :
> Concentrate first on getting your car on the road, not concours.  My
> You'll have the pleasure of driving your in the meantime, yet have a
> constant reminder of things that need to be done.

I could not agree more - my Scimitar sat in the garage for 6 months without
being touched because I lost my enthusiasm over the project. My wife kept
at me, telling me to go to the garage and finish it off - but I found it
hard to work up the enthusiasm. Soooo I got the car in a driveable state,
although the paint had been stripped and there was no interior. However
just driving the car rekindled the enthusiasm for finishing the car and
I was actually looking forward to doing work, because I enjoyed
driving it, although it was embarassing driving the car with no paint or
primer (it's fibreglass - so no problems)

> priority list will evolve naturally.
Again I agree - you work on things as they need fixing or as your mood
dictates. For instance I do not like doing bodywork, but I would do say
a couple of hours of bodywork and then follow this with mechanical work.
The next day I would again do a couple of hours of bodywork and then move
on to something else. Remember this is a HOBBY - it's not meant to be torture.

> Don't get caught up in shipwright's disease or you'll be discouraged
> to the point of giving up.
While the car is in driveable condition, you restore subsystems such
as the back axle, replace it in the car, drive it around to see how
everything runs, and then move to something else.
I had the paint/body of my car done to a high standard but certainly
NOT concours. You can spend countless hours trying to get the car from
99% perfect to 100% perfect - in my book these extra hours are not worth it.

Expect to be disappointed !!! EG the FIRST day that I drove it after having
it painted, the car next to me opened its door and put a 2 inch scratch in
the door.

But believe me IT'S ALL WORTH IT IN THE END  - it is VERY enjoyable driving
a car in perfect condition, and kmowing that you did most of the work
yourself

Gerry