Re: Moss Gas Tank Slushing?

To: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier), british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Moss Gas Tank Slushing?
From: sggy@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1992 14:11:11 -0500

Comment 1: Slushing works.
Comment 2: take precautions, there can be problems.

> >The can states that the gas
> >feeder line must be removed from the tank to avoid clogging it.

Right. They don't all tell you that. :-(
You must remove the sending unit. Period. As well as any filters, pumps, etc.

Remove the feeder line, if you can. If not, one way of clearing it
is to first, place the the tank so that the feeder is up in the
air, not in a pool of goo. Blow compressed air through the feeder.
Already plugged it? Try a good solvent to soften the slush, and
then blow air through. It may take many PSI.

One thing I might worry about with a non-removable feeder, is any coating
on the inside of the tube will reduce the diameter (flow capacity), even if
it doesn't clog. (But, it is a lot cheaper than a new tank!)

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!