Re: CLunking first gear..

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: CLunking first gear..
From: kristian@cs.uchicago.edu
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 92 15:50:33 CST

        Thanks to those who have sent me responses.  I have tried sending
mail in return but it has repeatably failed (I think our nameserver is broken).

        The details are: 1979 Spitfire 4-speed.  I think this has a synchro
on first, I think mine is gone anyway, as well as the synchro on 2nd. I
always have to double-declutch to get into second - which sometimes means
heel and toe'ing as well, or rather ball-and-sideoffoot'ing.

        Here is the question:  How easy are transmissions to repair?  I have
done just about everything on that car except for motor (i.e. bearings), and
diff/trans work.  Someone suggested that by popping the trans cap the
problem should be evident.  I have certainly had the trans cover off
for other reasons (bleeding clutch, fixing reverse switch, oil, etc), but
not to look into the transmission...  on scale of 1-10 how hard are
transmissions the first time?

        Anyway, I know of a garage that supposedly treats Brit car enthusiasts
very well. I may bring it in there for the tranny and misc other items (such
as the thrust washers).

Thanks,
KTS