MG midget gearbox and parts question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MG midget gearbox and parts question
From: "John D. Barlow" <John.D.Barlow@arp.anu.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 92 22:11:10 +1100
I have a friend with a (series 3 ?) MG midget (1973/1974 ?).
It is originally a US car (with round rear wheel arches).  It
has the 1275 cc engine.

The gearbox on it has "spat the dummy" (at least, first gear is
horrific).  He has been told it will cost him about AUS$1,600 to
get a replacement (apparently the layshaft is unavailable).  We
have not yet pulled out the gearbox and inspected the damage, but
assuming the worst - are there cheaper gearboxes available from
the US or England ?  Can he get a gearbox with syncro on first ?
(and all the other gears :-).  What is desired is a reconditioned
(or new) gearbox, rather than second hand, but any prices that you
know of will be greatfully accepted.  email to me if you want and
I will summarise.

Does anybody have any good references for gearbox parts (and can
I get a fax number for them).  "Special Interest Carparts" ?

Thanks.

PS: originality isn't a must on this car - its too run down :-)

--
John Barlow, Parallel Computing Research Facility, Australian National
University, I-Block, PO Box 4, Canberra, 2601, Australia.