RE: Pronouncing JAGUAR

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: RE: Pronouncing JAGUAR
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 92 15:26:49 WST
RE: Pronouncing Jaguar

Garry Archer <archer@hsi.com> says...

and "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com> recons...

<brandenberg@3d.enet.dec.com> confers with the "difinitive" pronunciation key

>British English:       jag' yoo wa"r
>
>American English:      jag' wa"r
>
>E. E. Milne:           jag' yoo la"r           (personal favorite)

Here in Australia we say "Jag-yoo-er" also.  As OZ is an ex-prison continent
for the pomms our pronounciation is not surprising.  However I'd like to
suggestthat the "true" pronounciation of Jaguar has to be the way the
designing/
building country uses it.   I was trying to think of some US products that
a pom/aussie could miss-pronounce but I can't think of any at the moment.

However I am sure we (Aussies, Poms and Yanks) pronounce JAG the same way,
and that's the most common thing Jaguars get called.  So to keep everyone
happy how about we all just say JAG :-)

Regards Scott # 2...
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.      Perth [32S, 116E]-->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

Joy is a Jaguar XJ-6 with a flat battery, a blown oil seal and an unsympathetic
wife, 9km outside of a small remote town, 3:15am on a cold wet winters morning.