Re: Curchill hub pullers...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Curchill hub pullers...
From: sbender@dsd.es.com (Steve Bender)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 92 11:58:02 MST
Hmmm... it sounds like removing the hub from a TR6 is very similar to
the removal on the earlier live-axle TR2-4's.  Instead of calling for
a Churchill tool, the manual calls for "Special tool M86A".

This past spring, I set about to replace a leaky seal on my live-axled
TR4A and was posed with this same problem.  I called TRF and asked what
you do when you don't have 'Special Tool M86A'... their response was to
find a machine shop with a BIG hydraulic press.

I found a shop that was only too anxious to give it a try with their
25-Ton press.  They fasioned a nice support for the flange and turned
the press loose...  After reaching the limit on the press twice the
fellow repositioned the work and gave it a third try that ended in a
terrific BANG! followed by the sound of small bits ricocheting off
the walls.  All the important stuff (Flange, axle-shaft, and bearing)
were OK - or at least salvagable, but the recoil of the parts separating
was so great that it trashed the castle-nut and mushroomed the top of the
flange with a like hexagonal shape.  I was able to clean up the new little
ridge on the flange with a file and had to buy a 3/4"x24 die to re-chase
the threads on the axle-shaft but otherwise the end result went back
together nicely.  Since then, the car has seen about 3000 miles without
a hint of a leaky seal or bent flange.

Steve Bender
Evans & Sutherland
(801) 582-5847