Re: Curchill hub pullers...

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Curchill hub pullers...
From: "Jerry Kaidor" <jerry_kaidor@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 3 Nov 92 08:53:05 U

Ian writes:
>Subject: Churchill hub puller replacement
>
>I was pondering the pulling arrangement provided by the $450 Churchill
>hub puller.  My half-shaft is still kicking around the living room, so
James TenCate writes:

If I'm not mistaken the Churchill device is a *hydraulic* [...]The author goes
on to state
that he's still only had about a 60% success rate even with big,
strong, 4 arm pullers...

**** How about making the plate described, but instead of designing it
to adapt to a puller, make it adapt to a hydraulic press?  I can't really
visualize the part involved, but I imagine that something like a big hunk of
pipe, with a large enough I.D. to hold the whole hub, could be fitted.  Then
the press would push on the axle in the middle.

 Or something like that.  Like I said, I don't have the part.  Heck, I don't
even have a TR6.  But I do have a TR2, and pulling the hubs on those is no
joke, either.  There's this round doohickey that is splined on the inside, and
tapered on the outside that locks the hub
to the axle.  When you try to pull on th hub, it just wedges the doohickey in
ever tighter.  The part of the doohickey that is exposed to air, has concentric
grooves on it.

    I have fantasized making up a doohickey puller on a lathe.  Such a
tool would be a round piece with internal grooves machined in it, matching the
external ones in the doohickey.  It would be then sliced in half, radially,
with hardware welded onto it to clamp it onto the doohickey.  A normal
three-arm puller could then be used to pull the clamp ( and the doohickey
itself ) off the axle.

    The hard part, would be to duplicate the ribbing on the outside of the
doohickey.  This is critical, because the ribbing would be what the clamp
actually pulls against.  I suppose I could use one of those curve-replicator
gizmos to measure the contours of the ribs.  Then I could build up a
doohickey-puller-fabrication jig....

   Ahh, forget it.  Much as I'd like to pull the hubs on the Clankster, and
inspect the bearings, I guess I'll just live with it as is, change the diff oil
occasionally, and hope it doesn't break.

       - Jerry