Re: Re: E type or XKE?

To: pva@lesti.hut.fi
Subject: Re: Re: E type or XKE?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 92 09:48:44 pst
> From: Pekka A Valtonen <pva@lesti.hut.fi>
> Subject: Re: E type or XKE?
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> Date: Sun, 1 Nov 92 11:50:04 EET
>

>       In American market the E-type was sold only on the name
>       XK-E, but on all the other markets (at least everywhere
>       in Europa) the car was E-type. The different versions of

Discussions about the name XK-E vs E-Type have come up a number of times
on this list and I believe the general consensus each time has been that
yes, in the early days the E-Type was marketed in the US as the XK-E but
later XK-E was dropped in favor of E-Type.  I honestly don't recall if
the car was "officially" known as an XK-E when it was first introduced
in the US but I do recall the first one I ever saw.  It was parked in
front of the student Union on the campus of the University of Arizona in
1961.  I was impressed enough to ask the owner what kind of car it was
and was told that it was an XK-E Jaguar.  In the mid 60's I was very
much in the market for one of these cars and while they were still
commonly referred to as XK-E's, the car was officially and E-Type by
then.  I have a vivid recollection of being emphatically corrected on
this point at the time.

Roland