Re: Hillman parts

To: sih@wam.umd.edu, British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hillman parts
From: sggy@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1992 09:35:08 -0500
T.J. Higgins scribed:

(various Rootes suppliers)

Rootes was bought out by Chrysler in the mid-60's, disassembled,
and some of the remains sold to Pouguet. There were Sunbeams/Hillmans
sold in the UK through mid 70's.

You can also sometimes get parts from local british parts dealers that
have old stock, or at imported auto flea markets. You will probably have
to hunt around tho, and take the old part with you if need be.

Here's some more:
>From: feinstei@Sonoma.EDU (Roger Foote)
The two best places in the world for Hillman parts are:

        Spares Galore
        178 Whitehorse Road
        Blackburn
        Victoria 3130
        Australia
and
        Grimes (Coulsdon) Pty Ltd
        Hadleigh Garage
        Marlpit Lane
        Coulsdon, Surrey
        United Kingdom

Hillmans were not only exported to Aust they where assembled here (australia)
along with Humbers and Sunbeams. Spares Galore (previously called
Hillmanspares) bought a lot of parts from Rootes when they closed

Dealing directly with England is quite easy, especially if you use
MC or VISA to charge it. Go out and buy yourself some british-origin
car magazines (Pratical Classics, Sports & Classics, etc) and look
through the adds. Looking for parts is part of the fun! :-o

You think you've got problems??? Tell me if you find a good source
for Humber & AM DB3 Tail light assemblys. Or, if you stumble accross
a rear window for a Peerless GT...

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!