lotus europa brake master cylinder

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: lotus europa brake master cylinder
From: Mark Reichert <markr@eye.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 92 10:17:01 -0400

I'm in the process of putting back together a 1969 Lotus Europa S2 (type 54,
if it matters), that someone else had taken apart - ten years ago.

My current woe is the brake master cylinder (Girling, dual circuit).

It's siezed, and I don't have any way of taking it apart. There is
nothing on the piston assembly to grab.  I've had it sitting in brake
fluid for some time. The application of air pressure (150psi) couldn't
move it. After applying some impulse (hitting it), I managed to push
the piston in a bit, but now I can't try air pressure, as the air escapes
out the resevoir connections (which I couldn't plug).

So, I figure, "Hey, master cylinders are cheap enough" (my other car is a bmw
2002 - new master cylinders go for about US$70). Well, the two sources that
I have prices from (Dave Bean, and R. D. Enterprises) want mid US$300 range
for a replacement.

This is not acceptable.

Another Europa owner has told me that this master cylinder is also used in
the Spitfire. Does anyone out there have a good source for dual circuit
Girling brake master cylinders with 0.7" diameter?  I'll accept larger
diameter, and it doesn't even have to be made by Girling.

If this turns up nothing, I plan to buy 2 Tilton single master cylinders
and a (remote controllable) balance bar, which I can buy for a total of
about US$230.

Thanks.

-Mark

markr@eye.com