Pentastar MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Pentastar MGB
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 92 06:44:21 PDT
          Curiosity got the best of me yesterday, and I went
     to look at the afore-mentioned 318-powered MGB. Fully
     expecting the usual hack-job, I was pleasantly
     surprised to see it well don, or at least as well done
     as shoehorning a Chrysler V-8 into a B could be.
          Specifics; The owner told me it was a '78 model (I
     don't know, but it does have rubber bumpers), and he
     got it from a guy who owed him money. It runs & drives,
     but is nowhere near being smog legal. It uses the 318 &
     automatic & looks like it's mated to the stock B
     rearend. They had to hack up the footwell a bit to
     clear the tranny .which could use a bit of tidying.
          Underhood is *tight*, but well done. The
     distributor just clears the heater box, and the water
     pump pulley just clears the stock B radiator. The
     header are handmade that exit thru holes cut in the
     fenderwells and then turn down thru tiny mufflers,
     exiting in front of the rear wheels. Very clean exhaust
     system.
          The car doesn't use rubber motor mounts, but instead
     bolts the engine (using beefy brackets), directly to what
     could be considered the frame. On the driver's side the
     "frame" was notched & gusseted to clear the starter. The
     tie rod had to be notched to clear the water pump
     pulley.  Altho these sound like botch jobs, all look
     very thorough. About the only half-assed things I
     noticed were the hack hole in the hood to clear the
     carb, the roll bar out of something completely
     different, and the unfinished tranny tunnel.
          Hell, for $1200 I'd say it's a far better deal
     that the "new" MGBV8 ! If you're interested, in the
     sake of anonymity, here's the owner's #s;

     Kevin wk(408) 435-8005
           hm(408) 335-2153

               cheers-
                      dstone@sc9.intel.com