XJ6 Headliner removal

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: XJ6 Headliner removal
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 92 10:07:43 WST
On getting the fiber-board out of an XJ6 rej@cs.unc.edu writes...

>Sorry, the windows out won't help. The fiberboard fits inside the
>metal lip that is welded to the frame of  the car. If you decide to
>replace the headliner it really wasn't that hard. It takes two
>people to do it. Afriend of mine replaced his in a series 2 xj6
>and he use a paint roller to smooth the headliner as he stuck it
>on the roof. In all cases it is prone to have a few wrinkles when
>installing it in the car. If you figure out how to remove the
>fiberboard piece and better yet how to get it back in. I would
>like to know.

>From my Haynes manual it appears that you get a wite strip of VELCRO
and use it to grip the fiber-board and "pull" so that it (bends and?) pops
out of the retaining lip.  Does this sound right? Once you have the Fiber-board
down from the roof can you get it out the doors?

Rick I notice you wrote...

>It appears that ALL Jags drop their headlining.  I've owned 4 and they all
>were down when I got them.  I replaced the entire piece of cloth by
>cementing it into place with 3M brand spray adhesive.

How did you get the fiber-board out?

Regards #2 Scott.
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.                 Perth -->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v