re: rubber bumpers and 'tire black`

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: rubber bumpers and 'tire black`
From: Adam Frankel <frankel@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1992 10:16:18 HST
Ric Golen writes about tire black on rubber bumpers:  is it any good?
I don't know about tire black, but Bondo makes a spray can of stuff called
something like 'bumper black'  They also sell a complete rubber bubmper
repair kit.  I first used it on the spit last christmas.  It lasted about six
months before it started to peel in a few places.  Admittledly I probably did
insufficient prep.  This weekend, I was the whole car and sanded the bumpers
with steel wool and re-sprayed them.  It looks great (as great as rubber
bumpers can look....).  Time will tell how long it lasts this time.
  The can costs abourt $4.  One warning though, the solvents in this stuff
are really nasty.  Irecommend using a respirator when spraying it.

adam