Re: Daimler Dart

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Daimler Dart
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1992 10:35:54 CDT
Clay Robinson (crobinso@sesky4102b.pl.osd.mil) writes:
> I have a 1961 Daimler Dart (SP-250) which overheats so much that
> it is no pleasure to drive. [...] On a hot day (over 90F) you can
> hear water boiling inside when the engine is turned off.

Either (A) You have a pressure leak in the cooling system (hose leaks
or bad radiator cap), (B) your coolant is so diluted with water that
the boiling point is too low, or (C) both of the above. I suggest you
pressure-test the system and flush/refill the coolant at the proper
strength (usually 50/50 with water). (It could also run hot if you had
TOO MUCH coolant mixed in, except that you say you hear boiling...)

> Since the car is 31 yrs old could the radiator fins be so covered
> that they allow too little heat transfer?

Maybe... blast a garden hose forwards through the radiator fins to
get all the bugs out, and flush it thoroughly while you're changing
the coolant in Step 1 above. Remove the lower hose periodically to
wash out the sludge; do not rely on the little drain petcocks alone.

> QUESTION:  Is my little V8 shot?

Tired, maybe, but what you describe seems to me to be little more than
an overdue cooling system service.

> Has anyone tried the "Block Tester" which has a chemical that changes
> color from blue to yellow if there is the presence of CO2 in the
> radiator (supposedly if you have a cracked head gases willl enter the
> cooling system.)?

Sounds interesting. Anybody recommend this? I'd like to try it myself.

-- Andy