RE: Value of a Europa

To: coryc@sequent.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Value of a Europa
From: spitfire?davevh@microsoft.com
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 92 13:01:42 PDT
(Sorry if this gets posted twice, I'm testing the mailer.)

| I also need a new windscreen, and I done some checking
| around:  I can get a new one for about $300 from several different
| sources, or could have about a year ago (haven't checked lately).

That's what I thought too, until I called around on it.  My information is that
the only US manufacturer that was making Europa windshields (and retailing them
for about $300) stopped making them a year or so ago.  The only remaining
manufacturer that I know about is in Britain and what with shipping and no
competition, suggested retail is $850.  Cory, can you get me the name of a
supplier who still sells them at $300?  Not that I'm currently in the market,
but it only takes one rock, and I was thinking about changing my insurance
coverage if the $800 number is accurate.

| 72 is before the Big Valve head became available, if memory serves, and it's
| a 4 speed, so it's not a sought-after engine/tranny combination either.
|
| This I'm not too clear on:  I'd assume that dual carbs implies a twin-cam,
| which could boost the value into the $8K range, from what I've seen.

A 72 is indeed a TC, but I don't think it has Tony Rudd's Big Valve head, worth
an extra 10-15 hp (can't remember exactly).  If I remember correctly that came
out in 73.  Of course, the difference is just money, er machining.

| I'd have to see the pedals -- IMHO, it'd be tough to
| improve on the ones that Colin installed.

A hydraulic clutch requires some modification to the pedals to actuate the new
master cylinder, usually via a pushrod punched through the floorboard.  More
can be done though; the major problem with the pedals is that they're just
concentric (mild) steel tubes rubbing against each other in a warm, wet
environment, so they tend to rust and stick together.  Some people put in nylon
or teflon sleeves, or even go the whole route with needle bearings.

Half the difference in my and Cory's evaluations was in the price of the
windshield.
For the rest, well maybe I'm just busier or lazier than he is, or maybe just
more
pessimistic about the meaning of "no interior" and "hasn't run since '83".

Dave Van Horn   davevh@microsoft.com