RE: Value of a Europa

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Value of a Europa
From: spitfire?davevh@microsoft.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 92 19:30:48 PDT
Bottom line: about $2K.  It's either a project or a parts car, IMO.

Looking at it from a buyer's point of view,the poor cosmetics are going to be
really expensive to fix.  A new windshield will run about $800 plus labor.  It
needs new paint, and before you paint you'll want to sand down and fix the
stress cracks in the body, a multi-grand job if you pay for someone else's
labor and a real pain in the ass if you do it yourself (I hate fiberglass
work).  I'm not sure what "no interior" means -- are the seats still there?
How about the dash? -- but it doesn't sound good.  A carpet set isn't too bad,
and the dash itself is a flat piece of wood, but getting all the gauges
and switches and installing it all is a ton of work.  It's easier without
the windshield in place, though, and that needs replacing anyway so that's one
good thing.

The mileage isn't given, but the engine will probably need work if it's sat for
nine years.  And that the pistons were reused in a balance job isn't a vote of
confidence in the rebuild; between that and sitting, I'd budget a couple of
grand
for a complete teardown in the not-too-distant future.  72 is before the Big
Valve head became available, if memory serves, and it's a 4 speed, so it's not
a sought-after engine/tranny combination either.

On the plus side, if the alloys are factory "Spider" mags that's good, since
they're getting to be hard to come by.  The Konis and adjustable lower links are
nice additions, although I'm not sure how many buyers would appreciate them.
The hydraulic clutch is an ok mod, the custom pedals could be a nice addition
depending on how they were done.

All in all, you've got an average condition powertrain (with big question marks
around it because it's been sitting so long) in a ratty body, a body that's
going to cost major bucks to fix up.  Are you buying or selling?

Dave Van Horn           davevh@microsoft.com