Re: removing paint from alloy wheels (summary)

To: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James A. TenCate),
Subject: Re: removing paint from alloy wheels (summary)
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1992 11:32:30 -0400
James A. TenCate scribed:
 Subject: removing paint from alloy wheels (summary)

> NO ONE suggested chemicals

I did. Spray & strip.

> finding (1) a place to do it or (2) getting beads in a bag (like sand)
> might be tough.

Industrial supply houses. Maybe ask paint supply places as well, or
welding equipment dealers.

> Someone told me to do it right the first time (Roger?) so I'm again

Well, I DID say to use the Epoxy, and that's part of doing it right.

How 'bout this- You want a clean, durable job? Get some quotes- A paint
shop will have the primer, so you don't have to buy extra and waste
it. (it doesn't keep). The "Moss wire wheel colour" is Ford FMxxx,
FM417 maybe?). It's listed in someone's catalogue under paint codes
(MOSS MGB?), or I'm sure University Motors knows. The only codes
I haven't found are MG Maroon, and A-H/MG Greens, for engine paint.
You (or the paint shop) can get the right colour mixed in the paint
type of choice. You ought to be able to get it done for $20-50 per wheel.

If you're going concours, do it durable, if not, why not stay with
body colour?

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!