Re: More TR4 transmission/clutch/suspension questions

To: passaretti@crd.GE.COM
Subject: Re: More TR4 transmission/clutch/suspension questions
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 92 09:25:44 PDT
"Mr. Mike":

> 4) Since my 'murrican car spring compressors won't work on the
>    TR, anybody got a line on the style that they recommend?
>    (The shock absorber replacement sort of thang).  Maybe another
>    entry in the magic TRF price list that I don't know how to find?
>    (I suppose I could call them, but I was here, and I thought
>    someone might know already).

To quote the quotable sfisher:  "Been there - done that."

Hopefully, one last note on this thread - the method that Kevin Spooner
mentioned for compressing the front coil springs on a TR (24" long redi-bolt,
heavy washers, nuts, and a 1/4" piece of steel plate) is the *only* safe way
to remove and re-install the springs.  (I've got one that I made up hanging
on the wall in my garage - but that won't do you any good.  :^)

The Berry Kercheval method (floor jack & Stand Back!) will work - sometimes.
The reason it doesn't always work is the free height of the coil springs on
a TR4 varies by commission number (but the spring rate is the same - I wish
someone would explain that to me?!).

For example, the spring height on my TR4 (commish. # CT196) is around 9",
but the parts car springs (commish. # CT26XXX) are about 11".  So the
"jack & Back!" method will work on the earlier springs, but on the parts
car, you can't get the spring pan down far enough to release all the tension
on the coil spring.  This is because the the location of the spring causes
the outboard end of the spring pan to drop when you lower the jack, but the
inboard end of the pan stays wedged up between the A-arm(s) and the frame so
you can't get it free of the studs on the A-arms.  With the "redi-bolt"
spring compressor you have enough control to get the spring pan to drop
evenly off of the A-arm.

So get the redi-bolt and washers and nuts - you'll feel a lot better when
you're most of the way into the disassembly.

Yours for safety in potential energy,

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA

        "Read dozens of books about Heros and Crooks, and I learned much
                 from both of their styles."
                                        - J. Buffet,  Son of a Son of a Sailor