Re: Parts washer solvent

To: british-cars@hoosier, daniels@lmsbv2.tamu.edu
Subject: Re: Parts washer solvent
From: Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432 <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 92 07:17:50 PDT
>I'm having trouble finding a source of solvent for my parts washer - the
>local Exxon stations used to sell it in bulk, but now they say that the
>environmental guys make it too much trouble for them for it to be worth
>carrying it.  I did find that a couple of the local auto-parts stores carry
>some 1-gallon containers, but the price is about 4 times the usual bulk
>price.

Kerosene works fine for me.  It's relatively cheap, about $1 something per
gallon at the local gas station.  They don't use in shops 'cause it'll burn,
but it's actually kind of hard to get kerosene to burn by itself.  When I
worked in a garage we used that Safety-Kleen stuff.  I think the kerosene cleans
better though. You can use paint thinner also, but that's a lot more volatile
than kerosene.  For disposal, I dump it in with my dirty oil, which goes to the
used oil tank at the landfill.

Mike G.