The List, Apologies, NEW GIFS!

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: The List, Apologies, NEW GIFS!
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 92 17:08:43 -0500
I reckon I'm guilty for sending non-Britcar stuff to the list when I
mailed my "Four Yorkshiremen" bit out.  It just seemed that was where
the thread was going and I just couldn't help meself.  Sorry folks.

So penance is due:

I uploaded the following GIFS to hoosier.utah.edu into the /pub/sol directory.
(Note: Bob Tuft and Bob Leger; your cars are here!)

ga-austin_a35.gif
        Colour photo taken at British Cars Day at Larz Anderson Park,
        Brookline, MA in 1990.  Its an Austin A35 --- BLACK, of course :-)
        --- just like the one me Uncle Jack used to drive us around in when
        I was just a half-dozen years old.  Pretend you don't notice the
        goof (me) in the white "Burton-on-Trent ENGLAND" t-shirt...

ga-espirit_BW.gif
ga-espirit_CLR.gif
        Black and White and Colour (more on this later) photos again from
        British Cars Day in 1990.  There's a row of Lotus Espirits (black,
        yellow and red) and the one in the foreground is BOB TUFT's black
        Lotus.  Bob is seen polishing a speck of dust off the front end.
        The funny thing is, although I knew Bob on this list then, I'd never
        met him face to face.  When I did meet Bob at the 1991 show and was
        showing him photos from the year before, Bob said, "Hey that's me!"
        Its a funny ol' world, innit?

ga-jagaston_BW.gif
ga-jagaston_CLR.gif
        Black and White and Colour photos of British Cars Day 1990 again.
        This time the goof is in Auto Heaven as he is seen heavily drooling
        over a red Jaguar 3.8 MkII parked next to a BRG Aston Martin DB5,
        both with their bonnets up.  A grey MGB GT is parked just off to
        the side.

ga-lotusF1_BW.gif
ga-lotusF1_CLR.gif
        I'm having a memory block on what this car is, other than it is
        one of the cars used by one of the World Champion Formula One Lotus
        team.  Its #1, in the black and gold livery.  I want to say it is
        Emerson Fittipaldi's (sp?) car, but I could be wrong.  Oh, yes,
        its a photo taken at the Donnington Collection (next door to the
        racetrack) just a half-hour from my home in England.  Circa 1981.

ga-morgan3_BW.gif
ga-morgan3_CLR.gif
        Oh, you'll LOVE this one, taken at a classic auto show in
        Ridgefield, Connecticut in the early 1980's.  Its a beautiful Morgan
        Tricar in immaculate condition (BRG, by the way).  British licence
        plate "JC 1429".

ga-tr250_BW.gif
ga-tr250_CLR.gif
        Back to British Cars Day, 1990.  I was attempting to meet BOB LEGER
        of this list and could only ever find his beautiful example of a
        primrose yellow TR-250.  I could never find Bob that day, but
        fortunately was able to meet him at the 1991 show.  Parked next
        to Bob's car is a white MGA and behind, a beautiful red MG TD.
        A Triumph surrounded by MGs!

Note of explanation about why two versions of most of the pictures:
I didn't scan them in, someone else did on my request whenever his
workload lightened up.  The first one came out beautiful (the Austin A35)
but we had to do a number of awkward file conversions to come up with the
GIF format.  His next attempts circumvented the file conversions.  Alas,
he'd just spent a lot of time scanning in photos for someone else who
wanted black & white format.  The remainder of my requests were lumped in
with these...  They came out beautifully (but the filesize is large).
I went back to get them rescanned in colour, and also cut down on the
filesize.  The resultant colour GIFS didn't come out all that good and
I just didn't have the heart to have him do it all again (and I can't get
on the machine to do it meself).

Anyway, I didn't consider the colour ones to be good enough on their own.
So I posted the black and white ones too.  If you are so inclined, perhaps
you can e-mail me (not the list) to let me know how they all came out on
your screen.

Finally, for all the reasons others have already stated, I vote stay as a
mail list, don't become a newsgroup.  Thanks!  Keep up the good work, Mark.

        Apologies again, hope you enjoy the GIFS.
        I'll shut up now.

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert