RE: Chevy powered Jags

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Chevy powered Jags
From: golder@ppd.Kodak.COM (Patrick Golder)
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 93 09:27:05 EST
> He also said that the Jag was no more reliable than it was
> before the engine swap due to the Lucas wiring (actually he
> blamed the Lucas relays).
>
> One more thing - his is also for sale, and he said he is having
> trouble selling it - V8 powered Jags are unpopular.

BINGO!  Jag engines are as strong & reliable as anything -
most of the problems people have are due to lack of
maintenance and Lucas electrics.  Unless you replace all
the electrical stuff, you don't gain anything by throwing
away the Jag engine.

And after you've done an engine swap, you have to expect it
to be difficult to sell.  YOU know what you did to the car,
but the next guy doesn't.  Who does he take it to when it
needs work, and what manual does the mechanic look at -
he doesn't even know what's in there!

Personally I don't think it's practical to swap engines
in a Jag, unless you want to keep it forever and do all your own
maintenance, or you're willing to sell it cheap when you're done.
And I wouldn't touch a car that someone else converted, because
you just don't know what's been done to it, even if they used
a kit.  Really, IMHO the engine is one of the car's strong points.

$.02
Patrick Golder
golder@titan.ppd.kodak.com