TR6/differential/pinion seal

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: TR6/differential/pinion seal
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James A. TenCate)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 93 10:27:18 -0600
Someone (Ron?) wrote a while back that they were thinking about rebuilding
the entire rear suspension on their 6.  I'm currently doing that and thought
I'd pass along a tip.

Roger Bolick tells me that in his experience, pinion seals seem to
go bad quite often on the TR6.  Mine was no exception.  To remove the
pinion seal, you must first take off the nut holding the end flange.
The shop manual (p 343) says to use special tool RG421 or S316.  These
tools bolt to the flange but still allow access to the center nut.  I
discovered that you can make an equivalent RG421 from a 3ft 2 x 4 and a hole
saw!  Use the hole saw to make a hole big enough for the 1 1/8 socket
you'll need to take off the nut.  Then you can drill two or three 3/8 inch
holes (around the big hole) to use for bolts to the flange.  I drilled three,
misdrilled one of them badly, so just bolted the 2 x 4 on with two bolts.
Propped the 2 x 4 against the floor and used my breaker bar to undo the nut.
Worked just fine. Piece of cake!  Now all I've gotta do is get the seal out :-)

jim