Bugeye dash

To: gerry@probe.att.com
Subject: Bugeye dash
From: interf!atlas!jhoward@uunet.UU.NET (James Howard)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 93 09:56:56 EST
This discussion on converting cars from left to right hand drive
reminded me of one of my fathers more brilliant stunts.  Seems that
back in the 60's he and his brother had a left hand drive mini.  One
day, while they were working on it, they got the brilliant idea of
converting it to right hand drive.  Well, moving the pedals and the
steering column was no problem, but they discovered they needed a new
steering rack, with the pinion on the right instead of the left.
Well, the cheap way to solve that problem was just to turn the rack
over and mount it.

All seemed well when they started, but when they had to make their
first turn, they realized that if you turned tried to turn left, the
car went to the right.  If you tried to turn right, you wound up in
the flowers to your left.  Seems there is a reason the pinion is below
the rack in most cars.

James Howard