RE: Brake backing or dust plates?

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: RE: Brake backing or dust plates?
From: Dave Van Horn <spitfire?DaveVH@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 93 16:16:05 PST
> I have a Lotus Europa which uses the Spitfire/GT6 front disk brakes.
Like on
> most cars, they have a sheet-metal guard which covers the inside of
the disk.
> I've got the assembly apart now, and am trying to figure out if I should put
> these back on.

That metal guard is a heat shield to protect the rubber boot on the
upper ball joint from the heat of the brakes.  Without it, the rubber
will dry out and crack, exposing the ball joint to unpleasantness,
although I couldn't say how long that will take; depends on how hard
you drive it.

I get the impression that the most compelling reason for taking them
off is not having to clean and paint them; the cooling and weight
benefits are too tiny to ever notice, especially in autocross.  This is
lots easier to say when I don't have to do the work, of course, but
personally, I'd leave 'em on there.

Dave