Re: Brake backing or dust plates?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake backing or dust plates?
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1993 14:39:16 CST
Phil Ethier (phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov) writes:
> I have a Lotus Europa which uses the Spitfire/GT6 front disk brakes.  Like on
> most cars, they have a sheet-metal guard which covers the inside of the disk.
> I've got the assembly apart now, and am trying to figure out if I should put
> these back on. [...] If I leave them off, I see these advantages:

> Better airflow and cooling.

I'm not sure how true this is. I notice that most cars are equipped with these
although the likelihood of them acting as a shield against flying debris seems
a bit remote; ergo, what are they doing there? I think they act somewhat as
air scoops to drag cooling air in. (Most shields seem to be opened towards the
front, often with an obvious flared opening to grab air.) I believe that with-
out the shields to gather air, the disc, more or less in the same plane as the
tire, is spinning in a low-pressure area with perhaps a lot of turbulence but
not much real air flow-through. Just a thought.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473