Cam & Header Questions

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Cam & Header Questions
From: Wayne Angevine <angevine@badger.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 91 10:04:01 -0600
I have a couple of technical questions that I hope some of you can help
me out with.  The specific car in question is my Datsun 2000 Roadster.
For those not familiar with that car, it is an early SOHC design, not
crossflow.  So:

How does one tell that a camshaft has been ground?  Is there any way other
than having the detailed specifications of the original and going after
it with a micrometer?  From the way the car runs, and process of elimination,
I am 99.5% sure that my cam has been ground.

When racers and other enthusiasts mount a header, do they do anything to
brace it, that is, to take any of the strain of the header's weight on
anything other than the mounting studs in the head?  It seems to me that
a brace or two to the block might be a good idea, *if* they could be
fabricated in such a way that the braces themselves didn't produce strain
on the mounting studs.

Thanks.

Wayne