Re: Zenith Stromberg carbs

To: phabib%well%apple@sun.com
Subject: Re: Zenith Stromberg carbs
From: Steven Taylor <staylor@ccd.bbn.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 91 21:17:13 EDT
Philippe says:

>I'm pretty good at doing work myself and just overhauled my engine and
>brakes on my own without too much difficulty.  I'd really like to take option
>3, but I also don't want to totally screw things up.

Sounds like me talking a month ago.  I decided to do the Stromberg on my
Midget for basically the same reason - the choke was sticking open.  Though
it's not the same sort of choke mechanism you describe, I suspect the
complexity is similar.

Bottom line is - do it.  It took me the better part of a Saturday to do mine,
taking it very slowly because of my fear of screwing it up.  Nothing more than
simple mechanical and cleaning effort required.  I used the rebuild kit
and shop manual that came from BRP.

The only thing I couldn't figure out how do from any manual was to change the
o-ring that's in the bottom of the place in the piston where the oil goes
(sorry for the weird description,  but you'll understand when you tear it
apart).   Anyway,  there was a discussion on the net a year or so ago about
said o-ring,  and sounds like nobody figured it out.

I put everything back together and turned the key to be rewarded by a very
pleasant, even sounding idle.  I haven't done the mixture adjustments yet -
gotta get to the man with the emissions machine to make sure it's right for
the state as opposed to me.

Good luck,

Steve