4.1 rear for TR-6

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: 4.1 rear for TR-6
From: ez002679@castor.ucdavis.edu
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 91 18:09:19 -0700

>I found out that The Roadster Factory had a 4.1 crown wheel and pinion
>but that they wanted $470 !! in addition to the $675 for the normal
>rebuild. Someone sent a reply to my posting that I could accomplish the
>same thing by simply using a smaller tire, and get better handling
>besides. Has anyone had experience with this? What size tire should
>I get? Naturally my speedometer will read wrong; do I have to live
>with that or is there an adjustment somewhere?

I put 175/70/15 Michelin MX L's on my TR-4 (on 5.5" TR-250 rims), and get
about 65 mph at 3000 rpm.  This is in 4th overdrive though.  The tires also
lower the car about 1/2 inch over the stock tires (165/80/15).  On the whole
I'm happy with the tires, and can live with the lower gearing, but would
have regretted it if I had to drive a lot of highway miles.

...David Lenzi