Re: Zenith Stromberg carbs

To: -v@emx.utexas.edu, british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Zenith Stromberg carbs
From: jatc@emx.utexas.edu (James TenCate)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 91 09:04:57 -0500
Philippe:

My advice is to rebuild them yourself.  They are really VERY simple (compared
to, say, a Holley) and rebuilding them is painless.  Besides, why scrap your
old carbs if they're really OK?

If you do rebuild, you should first try this:  Get a rebuild kit and then
replace JUST the diapragms.  You can do that leaving the carbs on the car and
just unscrewing the upper lids.  You'll be amazed at what a difference that
will make.  If that doesn't help, only then consider removing the carb set from
the car and taking them all apart and putting on new gaskets, float, etc.
While you've got them out, check the throttle shafts and plates for wear too.

By the way, the Haynes book on ZS carbs is OK but there is also something else
you should get.  My memory is a little fuzzy this morning, but I think TRF also
sells a book who's title is something like:  Tune up and emissions for TR6
and TR7 (actually, my brother has this booklet so I can't really remember the
title very well.)  It's got GREAT pictures (big too) and a good discussion of
the carb set up.

By the way, the first time I rebuilt my carbs everything went smoothly.
I was a complete novice.  I figured I'd rebuilt enough US carbs in my day
so how hard can ZS carbs be?  Well, I had mixed luck that first time.
I pulled everything off the car, put on new diaphragms, new gaskets, new
seals, the works.  Put the set up back together with very little trouble too.
However, when I tried to start it, nothing.  I fiddled with the whole thing
for about a day or two until I called in my local Triumph shop.  Turns out
when I put it all back together, there were a lot of little air leaks
everywhere.  Hence, the car wouldn't start.  However, the carbs have been
great ever since that rebuild (and I learned a lot and it didn't cost too
much either).  The moral is:  if you DO end up completely rebuilding, make
sure everything is sealed up nice and tight.

OK, that's my 2 cents.  I'm NOT an expert, just someone who's tinkered with
them a lot.  If I've given you any bad advice, I expect the rest of
british-cars will tell you :-)  Good luck.

jim
jatc@emx.utexas.edu