re: Air compressors

To: eddie.mit.edu!alliant.com!british-cars@beaver.cs.washington.edu
Subject: re: Air compressors
From: mit-eddie!beaver.cs.washington.edu!microsoft!timke@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed Sep 19 09:45:27 1990
Bill Sohl sez:
| My 2HP Sears 20 gallon unit operates at 220v.  I don't think
| you'll find a 2HP unit operationg at 110v, and if you do, the
| current requirements are likely to be higher than any typical
| house wiring for a 110 circuit.

i have a 2.5hp 20 gallon Ingersoll-Rand that runs at 110v.  i don't
know offhand what the amperage requirement is, but my garage is just
wired as a couple circuits on the main house box (15, maybe 20 amp?)
and i have not had a problem.  btw, I-R makes really nice quality
compressors.  i highly recommend taking a look at them.  i got mine at
costco for about 2/3 the price of a comparable sears model.  (i love
costco; i also got a 1/2" I-R impact wrench there for $35).

tim