Idle speed vs. electrical accessories

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Idle speed vs. electrical accessories
From: mit-eddie!acsu.buffalo.edu!owens@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (bill owens)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 11:19:24 EDT
Aran Guy asks:
 Is this normal? My 79 Spit doesn't change idle speed when the auxiliary
cooling fan comes on. (Which it does most of the time in our 100deg.F
California summer climate.)
 Does the idle also drop when the headlights come on? Or the heater blower?

My 74 Midget doesn't have an electrical fan, but my 85 Tercel commuting car
does, and the idle drops when it kicks in. The idle also drops, more
noticeably, when I turn on the rear window defroster (the resistive paint
stripe kind). The car does have a very small battery, though, so that
might account for it. The Midget actually has a much bigger battery...

Bill.
Bill Owens                                              owens@acsu.buffalo.edu
108 Computing Center                              uunet!acsu.buffalo.edu!owens
Buffalo, NY 12460                                                 716/636-3511