Re: 1990 Oddball Request Award

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: 1990 Oddball Request Award
From: mit-eddie!travis.csd.harris.com!andyh%hcxio.ssd.csd.harris.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Andy Haber)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 12:20:15 EDT
> If this doesn't win the oddball request award, it will probably come
> close.
>
> I'm looking for a rubber front MGB bumper in usable condition.
>
> In case you're wondering why, I want this to go on my racing BGT.
> It provides slightly better aerodynamics and allows better
> modifications for ducting.
>
> andy
> banta@sco.com
> uunet!sco!banta

I've never come across anyone who actually wanted to convert TO
a rubber bumper.  I suspect this would be most difficult.  I remember
reading somewhere that the sheetmetal under that rubber bumper is
completely different from what was there before, and about a hundred
pounds heavier.  Trying to put a rubber bumper on a car that did not
orginialy have one, you would not have the right stuff to mount the
bumper too.  I've never taken one apart so I could be wrong.  If your
building a race car and are willing to make your own brackets and such
I think you could do it, but I doubt it would be worth the work involved.
The chrome bumpers you offer in trade most likely would not
bolt up correctly to car that orginally had a rubber bumper.  If
it was possible, I'm sure people whould have done it.  BTW, no I don't
have a rubber bumper to trade either, my 69 MGB has chrome bumbers that
I plan to keep, sorry.

--
Andy Haber    (andyh@hdw.csd.harris.com)
Harris Computer Systems Division, Ft Lauderdale, FL