RE: AMC parts; proportioning valve, etc.

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: AMC parts; proportioning valve, etc.
From: "Seth" <sbunin@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:57:49 -0400
George,

M/C's and boosters are a matter of taste. The main parameters of the M/C are
the bore, stroke, and split. A larger bore will get you a more firm pedal, but
is
going to require you to push harder on the pedal to stop. Conversely, a smaller
bore is going to give you more pedal travel, but less force required. The split
determines how much of the total M/C volume is used for the primary (front) and
secondary (rear) circuits.

Boosters have three main parameters also. I'm a little rusty on the technical
names
(it's been awhile since I've had to talk boosters) but they are: jump in force,
booster
ratio, and here's where my mind goes blank, the point where the boost runs out.
The
jump in force is the amount of pedal force required to get the booster to start
operating.
The ratio is how much helping force the booster is doing, and the point where
the boost
runs out is just what it sounds like; the system pressure at which the boost
ratio drops
to 1:1.

Playing around with these can have signifcant effects on how the vehicle
responds to how
you apply the brake pedal. If you can get the rear wheels to lock with the
adjustable prop
valve wide open, then I probably wouldn't change these. If you are going to
change these,
from my personal driving preferences, I'd say the M/C bore and stroke are
probably pretty
good, but the boost ratio and runout pressure are probably a bit low.

Seth