RE: AMC parts; proportioning valve, etc.

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: AMC parts; proportioning valve, etc.
From: "Seth" <sbunin@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:00:53 -0400
George,

That's the kicker, I couldn't spec a prop for that combination if I wanted to.
I'd need to know the caliper sizes, rotor effective radii, brake lining
friction for the front and rear, CG height, weight distribution (llvw and gvw),
and tire rolling radius just to get an estimate. The next best thing is to get
an adjustable prop and spend a day (and probably a set of tires) at the track
doing dry asphalt stop after dry asphalt stop (straight line and during
turning) until you're satisfied with the stopping power of the vehicle and the
stability of the vehicle.

If you do go with an adjustable, you need to remove the original prop. Yuo
don't want to be proportioning on top of proportioning. Aftermarket shops also
make plugs so you can pull the guts out of your current prop and just add the
adjustable one further on down the line.

I went surfing and found a site that explains it decently (for a fox mustang).
The one thing I didn't like about the site though is he mentions using teflon
tape. You never ever want to use any thread sealant on a brake system. Brake
systems are very sensitive to contaminents, causing potential seal failure or
clogging of ports (more of an issue with ABS equipped vehicles, but still...)

http://www.binaryweb.com/fordtech/manual_prop/index.shtml

on a final note, your master cylinder is possibly now undersized for your rear
brakes. The secondary circuit of your M/C was onyl designed for a volume load
of two wheel cylinders (wheel cylinder diameters are much smaller than disc
brake pistons). This is only an issue if it is severly undersized as you may
stroke the M/C before you get full pressure on the rears.

Seth