Re: unmatched panels, curls

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: unmatched panels, curls
From: "Owen Evans" <tybach@adan.kingston.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:44:16 -0500
For what its worth, I removed the roof panel that was badly dished and
attempted to correct it. I made wooden strips curved to the correct roof
profile (as for as I could) and screwed the strips through the panel to the
underside of the panel and found it impossible to get the corrct profile.
There were many cracks in the acrylic but the small areas retain the "set".
In fact the panels" "set" was so strong it bent some of the wooden strips,
the strips were 1x2's on end.
I have given up and will have to buy a straight fibreglass panel as I will
probable have to do for my doors since the tops have seperated from the door
and stick up at a 45 degree angle.
The car has been painted in the past and will need to be repainted. Some
areas have many cracks (like the windscreen pillars). My plan is to grind
out all the cracks with a small bit in a die grinder, fill with epoxy mixed
with fibre glass powder, sand the car with 50 grit, paint on a layer of
epoxy resin, sand down and paint. Not a weekend job! Actually I am presuming
that all the cracking that has occurred has stress relieved the acrylic so
future cracking will be minimized.
Any comments?
Owen Evans #1355

///