RE: unmatched panels, curls

To: "'Steve Owens'" <go2toa@hotmail.com>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: unmatched panels, curls
From: "George Schiro" <gschiro@lni.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:46:55 -0500
I suppose the heat and bend idea might work as that is probably how the curl
happened in the first place when heating released some inherent stresses in
the material.  Such stresses may be due to how the acrylic was formed into
the panel shape or it may be due to how the resin cured.  Unfortunately, the
curl will come back unless the stresses are removed or compensated.

As far as compensation goes, you might be able to keep the alignment by
attaching a metal plate to the underside if that is possible.

To remove the stresses one approach, which I haven't tried, is to cut a
series of parallel slots on the underside of the curl that penetrate no more
than half way through the material.  This may releave the stresses and
permit the curl to be re-aligned.  The position can then be fixed with
either a plate or perhaps epoxy.

George Schiro