Re: BUYING A BRICK

To: "Ken/Judy Thompson" <kthompson@totalaccess.net>
Subject: Re: BUYING A BRICK
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:03:53 -0500
The brooklands book makes for good reading, it is a collection of articles
about the car. I am in the middle of restoring 2 bricks (a gluten for
punishment) right now and have just bought a "new" 76. I spent less to buy
the brand new 76 than it is going to cost to get either my 75 or 74 even
close to restored even if I don't count the countless hours of my labor, and
the new 76 will always be a nicer car the restored ones.
 Yes most consumable parts are available at your local parts store but there
are a few that are Brick only and are getting harder to find.
 The brick is a nice car and a real head turner but make sure you have both
eyes open when you buy one and think with your mind not your heart. It is a
good Idea to have a fellow brick owner to talk to before you buy so he can
point out the peculiarities and flaws your excitement doesn't let you see. I
would recommend you buy a car in person, although I have bought several cars
sight unseen from thousands of miles away but these cars were cheep and
needed tons of work and I knew that going in. If you know the car has been
painted several times and needs a new body and interior work, and you are
willing to deal with it, who cares how bad the body really is, you are going
to replace it any how.
 I guess it depends on how much of a project you want, a dusting, cleaning
and detail or a frame off. most guys are looking for something in between
but then the "may as well" and "while I'm here"s creep in, been there done
that. A brick is a good project as it is never done and almost always
requires a little 'tinkering'. I have personally put over 100,000 miles on
my fist brick so I know first hand all about tinkering.

> This is probably a repetive issue-but- I am seriously considering a
> Bricklin that will need a bit of restoration. Where is the best source for
> parts identification crossover? I have a book ordered from Brooklands but
> don't know if it has such info. My understanding is that this car uses
> standard parts from other cars.
> Ken

///
///