Re: Save Your Engine!

To: rileym3@hotmail.com, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Save Your Engine!
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 20:12:15 PST
>It's called a Coolant Pressure Warning Sensor.  Right now the product is
>nothing more than an idea in my head, which is why I'm posting this.
>There's lots of knowledgeable people on this list that could give me the
>tidbits of info I need to make this thing work.
>
>The dodge has a radiator cap rated at 13psi.  So if it were to drop to
>10psi, that would indicate a serious loss of coolant.

Far be it from me to rain on someone's parade -- I am about to get my first
patent issued from the uspto (provisional applied for last Nov -- patent
applied for May, response from patent office in September, patent to likely
issue early 200), so I love letting thoughts go wild.  However, the thoughts
need to mesh with the engineering. I don't think that yours quite do.

A drop in the pressure does not, in and of itself, indicate a serious loss
of coolant.  In fact, when a car is started and before it reaches operating
temperature, the pressure goes from zero for a long time and then slowly
proceeds up.  You can run your engine without damage with zero psi -- no
problem so long as there is ample cooling capacity.  The reason for the
pressurized system (and coolant) is to allow the fluid to get hotter than
212 f and not to boil.  When I used to make electricity, the boiler got the
water to 1,000 degrees f at about 2,800 psi (imagine that, water that was
twice as hot as the temperature at which paper burns).

Riley, keep in mind that most times when a car overheats, the radiator boils
over -- that means that the pressure inside they system is higher than the
cap's rated pressure (that the water is too hot).  Of course, if there is
not fluid in the system, then the engine overheats without any pressure
differential at all -- and without fluid the temperature sensor may not
work.

By the way, as with my idea, the idea is the easy part. What you ask for
below is what I am trying to determine for my patent and it is hard, hard
indeed, to find answers to those questions. Kim