RE: 74vs 75

To: "'Michel Poulin'" <mpoulin@poulincomm.com>, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 74vs 75
From: Phil Martin <pmartin@isgtec.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:28:23 -0400
Putting almost any flavor of 351W in a 75 or 76 should be very
straightforward.  The only issues I know of are:

        o Internal vs. External balancing
        o Electronics like EFI etc.
        o Intake and exhaust manifolds, water pumps, and other
          accessories clearing other stuff in the engine
          compartment.

You can certainly make an _awful lot_ more power from a 351W than the 175hp
Granada motor in the Bricklin.  Ford Motorsport sells a naturally aspirated
crate motor that makes 380hp on pump gas, for example.

Be aware, though, that the 351W (Windsor) has _nothing_ in common with the
earlier 351C (Cleveland).  The 351C used to be preferred because it made way
more power from the factory, and had massive valves, ports, and compression.
Today, though, there's a huge aftermarket for 351W stuff (many 5.0 parts
will work on a 351W), and the 351W is generally preferred because it's
lighter, much easier to find, and can make about as much power as you could
want.

There's also a 351M (Modified) out there, but it's a truck motor that you
want to stay away from - there would be no point in trying to use it in a
Brick.  I believe it's got some stuff in common with both the C and W
motors, but it's kind of an orphan and it's just not right for this (or any
other performance) application.

Hope this helps,
--
Phil Martin                             pmartin@surgnav.com
"I'm a Charger, charging through the night,