Fw: Ball joints, etc.

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Ball joints, etc.
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:56:15 -0400

>Well, I was in the middle of the discussion on brakes on the AMC
list and I
>got blasted by a number of people.
==========
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying these posts have convinced you
to not help novices and pass judgement on others advice because it
wasn't a sufficiently windy tutorial?
==========
  And, there was some pretty poor and
>dangerous advice given there as well.  As a matter of fact, someon
who is a
>friend of mine posted a way to make a spring compressor, and it was
just
>plain dangerous and told him so.  Eventually, he realized he was
just lucky
>with his makeshift "appliance".
>

>Don't have the original post, but I thought he was told to heat a
tie rod
>end with a torch.  Either way, suspension components should not be
heated
>as a rule of thumb, and I must say I don't believe I have ever had
to do
>that.
=========
You've never done much 4x4 or truck work then.
=========
 (And I also do ground up restorations, I have owned 146 2 seater
>AMXs, over 300 Javelins, as well as the 3 Bricklins and a number of
other
>cars).  Why do you say heating the parts would cause failure
borders on the
>ridiculous?  Don't want to start a war here, just curious, but I
bet if you
>asked any racer if they would use one of those "heated" parts, they
would
>say no.
=========
Well, I'm an ex racer who wrenched and occasionally drove over a
33yr period who would have been lost without a torch and I sure
wasn't the only one.
=========
  And there is always the danger of telling an unexperienced people
>to use the torch.  From experience, they don't adjust the flame
right, and
>more importantly, they don't look beyond the component they are
heating to
>see what else the flame is burning.
=========
The flaw in your reasoning is that normally someone who owns an oxy
rig knows how to use it. A propane torch on the other hand, which is
what John Q. Public more likely will have, will heat the
recalcitrant part enough to help without doing any excessive
peripheral heating.
=========

>And why are you assuming the alignnment shops use the torch for
what you imply?
=========
I wasn't assuming. It's a statement of fact.
=========

>Yes, I would be against having appliances, tools, etc. being used
without
>knowledge as to what they do, and what harm they could do.
"Formal"
>training was never suggested by me, but some sort training or
guidance
>should be done.
=========
This isn't the forum to express my thoughts on this. We'll just
agree to disagree.
=========

>I apologize if I had a negative approach on the first post, and
hopefully
>have made amends with one I sent an hour or so ago with at least a
few
>suggestions.  But just as I do on the AMC list, I am very irratated
when
>advice is give, such as c-clamps, that is just plain dangerous,
whether
>people do it or not.
=========
As I originally stated, this isn't my first choice, but with
sufficiently sized clamps, is a viable, relatively safe alternative.
I leave it to whoever may choose this approach to determine what
that size is based on his / her degree of paranoia / self worth.

GM